Thursday, January 22, 2009

Oh poo...Wal-mart again?

We have been potty training Haylie since the dawn of time seemingly. She was ready right before Zander was born and we almost had it done and then in the chaos that ensued after, she got off track. We have tried everything I can think of, everything that has been suggested or read. We are finally to the point where she no longer has peeing accidents but pooping is another story. A story that starts last Friday in a time warp I call Wal-mart (how can two hours go by so fast in there?) Anyway, Dave had the day off and Zander was sleeping so Haylie and I went to Wal-mart for some groceries. Of course, she poops in her underwear while we are there. I had no diaper bag or anything (my baby is at home, do I need a diaper bag for a three year old?) Luckily the situation was not too messy. I was able to transfer to the toilet with no mess. We finished the shopping trip and went home.
Now we fast forward to today when I found myself at Wal-mart again. This time with both kids. We are finished shopping and Haylie's favorite thing to do is stop for lunch at the McDonalds there. She had been great in the store so I figured why not? So we are standing there waiting to order and I realize that she has left me another little surprise in the underwear. Maybe that is why she was so good...I had left the diaper bag in the car but since everything went so smoothly on Friday without it I think "I am a pro at this" and head to the bathrooms. I did not take into consideration that fact that there was nowhere to put Zander as I didn't bring his car seat in. So there I was with Zander in one arm and with my other I am, well, I will spare you the details, but you can imagine that it wasn't the no mess incident from Friday. Needless to say Haylie's shot at some McDonalds went out the window...she is just lucky I didn't throw her out with it! Some day maybe she will read this and gain a little more appreciation for me. But for now, I will just keep cleaning poop until that magical day when she realizes how much easier it is to just go in the toilet!

8 comments:

laura said...

I can't help but laugh> sorry. who knows maybe no mcdonalds will get her on track :) at least at walmart you have wet wipes and new panties at your disposal.

mandbrid said...

Good luck! That's a tough one. Funny story though...

Darin said...

Oh no! It's a good thing she is so cute and funny (most of the time, anyway). She'll get it some day. Let's just hope it's sooner rather than later.

Monica said...

Oh I feel for you. I remember those day with my son. Ugh. I did not want to go anywhere for fear that I would be in the same situation. Oh and ya we tried everything in the book too. It wasn't until he decided that he was really ready before we really got there. Darn stubborn kids! :)

Emily said...

I'm sure it was a memorable experience that you would like to forget! :) I am not looking forward to that with Joseph!

I miss seeing everyone, as well. I look forward to the end of RSV season so we can go out more safely. I hope things are going well with primary!

And I like your background! It is really cute!

Sarah said...

I feel for you! I don't know why it is so hard to learn to poop in the toilet, but it is. I've been struggling with the same thing. Yuck!!

Anonymous said...

I had the same hard battle with her aunt-your husband was a breeze! It will come, when SHE wants it to. Keep trying though, you still have to let her know you are not happy with her when she does it and praise like crazy when she does it right!
Can't wait to see all of you.
Patti and Art

kabeaner said...

Leslie! I found your blog through good reads. I hope it is okay that I added a link to it on my blog. If not, of course, let me know. Your P.T. story is a saga I fear is going to become very familiar; we just started with Max. He is SO not interested, but he does like picking out a treat from the potty training basket, so we've started with the sticker charts. Mostly because the pediatrician said it's time to start. He is 3, so I guess it's time. Sigh...