Thursday, June 11, 2009

Sweet Haylie

These days Haylie is usually a trial of my patience. We don't know any kids in Price yet for her to play with and I overloaded her with buddies during the last few weeks we were in Boise since she went somewhere to play nearly everyday while I packed. So now she wants a playmate every second and she has decided that her best excuse for not obeying is "You know I am just a kid, mom!"
So today she did the sweetest thing and her recent behavior made it even sweeter. I had a bad day today, I was up in the night with Zander, and Dave was in Moab working until 3 in the morning so I had to deal with that alone. I was tired, overwhelmed with everything and just...frustrated. I let a few tears fall and Haylie came up with a doll burp cloth and started wiping my eyes and saying "there is no reason to be sad, do you miss your friends in Boise?" Then she started bringing all kinds of things into my bedroom and set up things for me to do or look at to make me happy. She had a book I am reading, my volleyball, a baby toy for music to listen to, a baby picture of her, a little family picture, some stuffed animals, and infant tylenol in case I started to feel sick. Then she said, "you can take a nap or have an early bedtime and use all of these things, ok?" and I said , "who will watch Zander?" and she said, "I'll watch him" then she pushed me in the room and shut the door. I could hear her close the bathroom door so Zander couldn't get in there and unroll the toilet paper and then she followed him around for a few minutes until I decided I better resume my parenting role.
What a sweet little girl I have. I know that it must be challenging for her to adjust to this new place, but she was so thoughtful. Each thing that she brought in was so carefully thought out. I will have a huge mess to clean off the bed before I go to sleep tonight but it will definitely be worth it. I even took her for some ice cream tonight. Can you believe there is a Cold Stone Creamery in Price, UT?

5 comments:

kabeaner said...

Thank you for sharing this sweet story! As a mom of a 3 year old who lives to prove he is in charge, it's refreshing to know that our kids actually do love us and want us to be happy! Hang in there!

Todd and Amyjoy said...

Leslie,
It's good to hear from you. I am sorry that you were having a hard time. I was too when I wrote my last post. Thanks for your comment.
That was so sweet of Haylie.
Good luck, things will get better- everyone keeps telling me that.

Amyjoy

Todd and Amyjoy said...

oh, and a tender mercy- Cold Stone Creamery!!!

Janine said...

Leslie...that is the cutest story EVER! What a little sweetheart!

Emily said...

You have such a sweet little girl! I'm sorry you are having a difficult time. Just know that your friends here in Boise are thinking of you and praying for you.