Sunday, April 5, 2009

Justice was served, and I still got ready to teach!

Last week was a very interesting week for me. As luck would have it, I was summoned to jury duty and when I called to see if my number had to report, of course it did on Monday, the first day I was supposed to be reporting to the school that I am teaching at. I went to the courthouse, kind of excited and curious. I have been summoned several times before, but never have been selected for a jury. Well Monday, I got my chance. Fortunately, I was selected for a one day trial so we heard the evidence, deliberated, and the verdict was read right at 5:00. Here is some advice. If you are selling prescription drugs, make sure the buyer isn't an undercover cop! There isn't much of a defense for you in court.

So, my civic duty fulfilled, on Tuesday I headed out to Caldwell to tackle my new classroom. I am very excited because, the last classroom I had was in a school that I think should have been condemned. I had mice in the closet there and everything was just yucky. This time, the school is only 5 years old, so all of the furniture was functioning and clean and I didn't find any signs of mice. I didn't even get the willies when I ate my lunch in the room! I used Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday to set everything up and write some lesson plans, then since it was parent/teacher conferences for the other teachers on Friday I got to spend some time with Dave and the kids. I sure miss those little guys that I am so used to caring for day in and day out. Dave is doing a wonderful job as Mr. Mom. It will be a nice chance for us to appreciate each other and our roles in the family. I just had to laugh when Dave was complaining that the family room was all clean once that day as he was looking around at the toys and books and everything strewn about. I don't know how many times I have said that exact same thing!

I will meet my new students tomorrow, I am excited. I think it will be a good experience, and help me to keep my teaching skills fresh. Even if they are a handful, it is only for two months, I can handle that!! Here are a few pictures of my new, clean classroom. We will see if I can keep it clean after the students come!


4 comments:

Rebecca said...

I'm glad jury duty went well. Good luck tomorrow with your students; I'm sure they'll love you.

P.S. The classroom looks great!

Emily said...

Good luck with your class. I'm sure you will be great! :)

Arika Oberholtzer said...

uno dos tres cuatro cinco seis siete ocho nueve diez. Just a quick refresher for you!

Sarah said...

I'm glad jury duty was only one day and went well. Your classroom looks great and the kids are lucky to have you as their teacher! Good luck!